The Remote Sensing from Space division of the Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium is opening a
Doctoral/Post-doctoral position in satellite data processing/remote sensing
for a long term contract.
He/she will participate to the generation of Climate Data Records of the Top of Atmosphere (TOA) radiation from the Geostationary Earth Radiation Budget (GERB) instrument observations.
His/her primary tasks will be to:
• perform statistical analysis of GERB, ScaRaB and CERES data to improve the angular dependency models of the TOA radiation,
• merge observations from the GERB instruments at 0° and 41.5°E to improve the accuracy of the instantaneous flux in the overlap region,
• develop TOA radiation products from other geostationary satellites data, in particular GOES and Himawari,
• perform comprehensive validation of those new developments.
In addition, the scientist shall:
• contribute to journal papers,
• present his work at scientific conferences and project’s meetings.
The candidate should have at least:
• a PhD in natural sciences and/or engineering. However, the position is also opened to a motivated PhD student with a Master in natural sciences and/or engineering.
• affinity with scientific research in (geo)physics and remote sensing,
• working experience with UNIX/Linux systems,
• working experience in scientific programming (C, Fortran, …) and data processing languages (R, …).
• an European Union citizenship.
The following skills will be considered assets:
• working experience with scripting languages (Bash, Perl, Python, …),
• good English writing and presentation skills,
• experience with scientific publications.
Candidates should send their CV and motivation letter to Nicolas .Clerbaux@meteo.be . The position is opened until filled.